Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lyra in progress

Later New Year's Day, I did get to work on my Lacey Lamb Lyra. It is very unusual for me to work on such small needles. I am using size 1 (2.50 mm) needles. I want to put in a plug for Knitpicks here. I went to my LYS to find double pointed and various circulars in 2.50 mm. Their size 1 is a 2.25 mm and their size 2 is a 2.75 mm. Most only have metal, which I refuse to use. I like the grip of security that wood or bamboo gives when working with lace knitting. Knitpicks has sizes 0 (2.00 mm); size 1 in (2.25 mm and 2.50 mm); and size 2 in (2.75 mm and 3.00 mm). They also have the double pointed needles in these mm. In lace knitting this small increase can make a huge difference. I love it that they come in 16", 24" and 32" lengths. The 16" comes is to play very nicely. It decreases the time that you have to work on double pointed needles. When making a Lyra, you will need them all.
I have never worked on a size 1 needle before. I think that a size 2 (3.00 mm) is the smallest that I have ever used. It does take some getting used to and progress is not in inches, it is in mm's. My Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb is scrumptious. I am currently on Rnd #33 and have a total of 320 sts on my 24" size 1 (2.50 mm). It is a very interesting and stimulating pattern, never a dull row. Even though the even rows are all knit, I use that time to count my stitches and make sure that the center of each repeat is the right number and that I have not added or missed a yarn over. This does make it a rather intense pattern. I thought when I was studying the pattern for weeks that it was great that there was a breather row in between each intricate pattern row, but not so. Being vigilant on the even rows makes for less ripping back.
On to my back procedure- they tried a new procedure on me called "lumbar medial branch block or facet joint injection". I don't know much about it and I do not want to know exactly how they do it. I break out in a cold sweat when I think of needles in my spine. Ignorance is bliss in this case. It did give me a good deal of relief from the pain. I came home and went straight to bed for 3 1/2 nap. I woke up feeling like a new woman. I have to be careful when I get to feeling better, I want to do some task that can really wait. The rest of this week, I have every intention of being careful and picking up nothing heavier than yarn and needles. It looks like my Lyra will get plenty of attention.
While out of commission, I did start a new project. We rented a bunch of movies and I cannot just sit and watch TV. When I had went looking for needles at my LYS, I found a new pattern that was too cute. It is called "Half Circle Cardigan". I had to rework the gauge to a yarn that I already had, but the K2, P2 mindless rib was just the thing to keep my hands busy.
Here is my Lyra progress.

2 comments:

fleegle said...

It's lovely! I am so glad you are feeling well enough to knit it. More fun to come in the later sections!

Autumn said...

ever been too sick to knit? it's awful! i think today i can finally pick up my needles again. :) for my socks i'm using size 3 needles but probably should have bought size 2 because the stitches seem a little loose. i want to start taking photos and including my knitting projects in my blog like you do. :)