Thursday, May 29, 2008

Vacation Knitting!

Our trip was from central AR to the Rio Grande Valley of TX. That meant many hours of car travel to reach our destination. In my previous post, I listed the yarn and projects that I was taking. I soon found out that I should have brought more "brainless knitting" with me. By the second day, I had finished a sock and was halfway done on the mate for it. I was 1/2 finished with the cardigan vest back and that was the extent of my brainless knitting that I had brought with me. On the 2nd day, I visited a yarn store that I had discovered last year in Fredericksburg, TX. Quite a lovely store. It was called "Stonehill Spinning". My intent was to get some more thick yarn for another pair of socks to knit, but they did not carry the Reynolds Odyssey that I love. I did however find a lovely yarn that I hope to make a cardigan with. It is called Tatamy Tweed Worsted by Kraemer Yarns. Michael chose the color "Birch Tweed". We spent a relaxing night at the Hampton Inn of Fredericksburg, TX.
On the 3rd day, we passed thru San Antonio, TX. There was a great yarn shop that I had went to last year. It was called "Yarnbarn of San Antonio". They were in transition of new ownership and a new location, so they were low on what I was looking for. I was still looking for sock yarn in a dk weight, but I ended up taking home a skein of Skacel Merino Lace in the variegated colorway that reminded me of soft sand and sea colors. We arrive at our destination, Alamo, TX. We unloaded and headed out to Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge.
On the 4th day, we spent the day on South Padre Island soaking up the lovely beach and topped the day off with a visit to Sabal Palm, a wildlife refuge close to Brownsville, TX.
On the 5th day, we spent a sweltering day at Bentson Wildlife Refuge in Mission, TX.
On the 6th day, we started making our way home, by way of Corpus Christi, TX. We spent the day visiting various birding site at Port Aransas, TX. We walked the jetty along the beach and saw dophins and ended the day with a ride across the Pass on a ferry.
The last day of our trip found us passing thru Houston and another yarn store stop. I fell in love with the yarn store here. It was called "Yarns 2 Ewe". It was one of the largest yarn stores that I had ever been to. The inventory was mind boggling. I was in YARN HEAVEN! It took me forever to decided what to bring home. I did not have much room left in the van, considering all the fresh fruit and veggie purchases at roadside stands and the plants that we had bought at Wildseed Farms. I purchased a bottle of Eucalan Wool Wash, 2 skeins of Merino 5 for socks and 2 skeins of Cascade 220 Heather for designing more twisted stitch items.
On this trip, I finished a pair of socks, the back of Michael's cardigan vest, 6" of a raglan neck-down cardigan, and 2/3 of a lace shawl.
The desire to play with my new yarn is overwhelming! Instead, I have finished the summer shawl that I started on May 7th. I am working on finishing the lace weight that I began on the trip, then I will allow myself the joy of starting a cardigan with the Tatamy Tweed Worsted.
It was an almost perfect trip, lots of knitting, lots of new yarn, lots of birds, lots of no cooking, lots of beach time, and lots of precious memories. The only way it could have been more perfect was to be less hot.

No comments: